February Focus

image

Wee extra for this week! I rather liked this combination of winter aconites with their cheery moptops and green frilled collars against the contrast of the red cornus stems. Discovered earlier in the walled garden.

Gallery | This entry was posted in The Walled Garden and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to February Focus

1. Hi and thanks for discovering my blog. I have many more photos of the beautiful South West. I loved the photo of your walled garden and the other photos on your blog, and I am now following you

2. debsgarden says:

What a happy color contrast! Some of the best combinations are serendipitous. I love when the garden offers little surprises. Whenever I go for a stroll through the garden, it seems there is always something unexpected waiting for me to discover.

3. I think that those aconites are highlighting the stems of the Cornus beautifully.
    Cornus is a new addition to my garden this year I’ll be looking for something to under plant with. Will look into what conditions they need. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

4. Anna B says:

Loving the dogwood contrasting against the lovely yellow colour.

5. Carolyn says:

Sweet yellow peeking out from under those dogwood branches. We’re still buried under snow but it is a bit warmer.

6. I love winter aconites but mine aren’t out yet. There is a park down the street where acres of aconites bloom. I did a blog post on it it last year as a wonder of nature. It has been very cold here so everything is behind. Many of my earlier snowwdrops sufferened from the weather because their flower stalks bent. So disappointing when you wait all year for one special new cultivar to bloom. Oh well, next year.

7. aberdeen gardening says:

The Winter Aconites I just love, I must find a spot to give these a try, seems like they should thrive in either acidic or alkaline soil. Off to add you to my list of blogs I like, thought I had already done it.

8. Pauline says:

Lovely combination but I’ve tried 3 times and lost them each time, I think they like a more alkaline soil than mine, I really can’t kill any more!

9. They look fabulous together – we try to plant contrasting bright colours too, sometimes with more success than others 🙂

10. Karen says:

Very attractive combination, although the stems of the cornus are just spectacular by themselves.

11. Great combo…makes me think of adding some aconite under the red twig dogwoods.

12. Linda says:

I love aconite’s. I tried them but they just don’t like my zone 8b weather.

13. Helen Johnstone says:

I do like Eranthis – mine are finally beginning to spread

14. It is a good planting partnership and a nice big clump of gold.

15. hmm I’ve been thinking I’d like something under my dogwoods might be just the thing, thanks for the inspiration, Frances